Custom fields let you capture unique data about your content that is specific to your company’s needs. This data makes it easier to filter and find content assets. Three custom fields already exist in your instance. You can keep those defaults and modify the values or remove and add new fields. If you choose to keep the default custom fields you will want to modify the values to be in line with your business.
To add, delete, or modify Custom Fields select 'Custom fields' from the settings icon on the left navigation menu.
The default custom fields for your system will display at the top of the listing. To modify existing values, Click in the Filed Values box and change the text. Each value has its own line.
To add a new custom field:
1. Click on Create A Custom Field.
2. Enter the information into the fields and select the appropriate checkboxes for the options listed. See the information below for specifics on each field and checkbox options.
3. Click the Create a Custom field button.
For the custom field(s) to display on a content asset it must be assigned to the appropriate content type(s) in settings.
To add a custom field to a content type:
1) Select 'Content Types' from the settings icon on the left navigation menu.
2. Choose the appropriate content type from the dropdown menu.
3. Select the desired custom fields from the dropdown menu labeled "Add a custom field'.
Drag and drop custom fields to re-order. Click the X to remove the custom field from that particular content type. Removing a custom field will not delete it from the custom field repository.
Custom field details:
Display Name: Title of custom field, appear on content asset below the body of content.
Field Name: Make the field name the same as the display name unless mapping to a destination.
Location: Leave the default setting of Main area of content page. The Planner package does not use the Gallery.
Field Type: The field type is used will determine how metadata is gathered. The field types include Text, Dropdown, Date, Image, Multiple Select, and File.
*Multi-select and dropdown (Single select) field types are encouraged as you will be able to filter and report by them throughout the system.
The option checkboxes are used to specify specific settings for this custom field.
- Only viewable by Editors and Admins: Custom fields can be created such that only Editors and Admins can see the field in the content assets or catalogs.
- Show this field as a filter on the content catalog, calendar, and custom reporting pages: *Select for all multi-select and dropdown fields if you'd like to be able to filter by them throughout the system.
- Mandatory for new submissions: Adds a *red asterisk to a field name to help Kapost users recognize the mandatory custom fields. A popup window will appear warning the user if the mandatory field is not filled out before publishing.
- Display in previews: Determines if a custom field and its value will display in the Preview Pane.
- Display in content tab column selector: Determines if the custom field name will be made available in the menu that appears when the column selector icon is selected in the content or initiative catalogs. *Select for all multi-select and dropdown fields if you'd like to be able to filter by them throughout the system.
- Multiline text: Determines if the text field can be expanded to show many lines of text.
- HTML: Determines if the field can support HTML tags.