Matrix charts allow you to visualize content or initiatives in a grid format. This can give you broad visibility into how your content is distributed across your team, if your planned content is mapping to a strategy, and more. This article walks you through how to use Matrix views in Canvas
Creating a Matrix Chart
- In your Kapost instance, navigate to Canvas in the top navigation bar
- Create a plan or click on an existing plan.
- Click the + icon to create a new matrix. You can create a new matrix from one of the existing templates or create a custom matrix
- Click to view an example of each template, selecting Create Chart on your desired template. The four templates include:
- If creating a custom matrix, click the link and then choose whether you want your chart to populate with initiative or content data
- After selecting your chart, follow the steps below to edit the chart configuration. Note: The first time you create a chart you'll be taken through a guided tour to learn how to configure it to your liking.
Editing a matrix chart
- Click Edit in the upper right corner to enter edit mode
- You can edit the title by clicking into the title box
- Use the Sidebar icon to toggle the editing menu
- Select available options for the columns and rows you'd like to see in the matrix. Note: Only multi-select and drop-down custom fields are available. You can limit the field values shown in the matrix by selecting/deselecting them.
- Use the Switch icon to reverse the columns and rows
- Select the initiatives you'd like to show data for in your matrix
- Select the initiatives you'd like to show data for in your matrix by clicking 'Manage' on the sidebar or 'Manage Initiatives' on the top selection bar. Anything you want to see in a matrix view must be associated with an initiative.
- After choosing 'manage' you can search for initiatives using the top search bar or scroll to view the initiatives.
- To add an initiative click on the plus icon.
- Initiatives that are available for your matrix view will be listed in the upper right hand corner. Choose the X next to any initiative to remove it from your view.
- When you have added the appropriate initiatives you will click the large X in the upper right hand corner to return to your matrix view.
- Check or uncheck the box to Enable Status. This view will display how many assets are complete for each initiative or the progress stage of content in your chart
- To delete a matrix, select Delete from the More drop-down menu. Deleting a matrix will not delete the initiatives or content assets existing in the matrix
- Click the back arrow to go back to view mode
- Click the back arrow again to go to your plan landing page
Note: A guided tour will pop up the first time you enter Canvas. You can always choose to restart the guided tour by selecting Start Tour from the More drop-down menu.
Creating content or initiatives within a matrix:
Users can create content or initiatives when actively editing the matrix. These newly created assets will be available within Studio as soon as you click save.
- Click on a cell in the matrix
- Complete the information in the module. This information includes title, type, initiatives, and values for the columns and rows selected in the matrix. Users must complete any other information, including additional custom fields, workflow, and file uploads, within Studio on the individual asset's page
- Click Create. Content or initiatives will not be created in Studio until the chart is saved. They will be noted with a dotted outline until the chart saves, and the content or initiative is created.
Updating data within a matrix
If you'd like to update the metadata associated with column and row values on content or initiatives while editing a matrix, you can do so by dragging and dropping items into different cells or by clicking on an item and making updates within the details modal. Note that content or initiatives without a metadata tag will show in the last row or column representing a missing tag. You can move content or initiatives to the appropriate cells to provide a tag. If an asset or initiative needs to be tagged with multiple values, you can click on the asset and make adjustments within the modal window. Any data you adjust will only change across all areas of Kapost when you click the save button. Data changes are noted with an asterisk until save is selected and the changes are made through Kapost.
Note: Users cannot change the content type, initiative type, or owner within a matrix.