What Is This Feature?
Canvas users can create Matrix Charts to visualize content or initiatives in a grid format.
How It Helps
You can build customizable Matrix Charts to align key stakeholders, provide broad visibility into how your content is distributed across your team, see if your planned content is mapping to a strategy, and more!
- Organize content in a Matrix Chart by the content owner to decide who will create which content.
- Plan monthly content with a generic initiative to see what content you're creating each month.
- Share a digital marketing plan with sales and teams in your organization, and surface key dates to align on content like webinars and events.
How It Works
Creating a matrix chart: To create a matrix chart in the Canvas App, start by either creating a new plan or jump into an existing plan. Click the green + button or the "Get Started" button to use a matrix chart template, create a custom matrix, or a timeline chart (read more about Timeline Charts here).
When you create a custom matrix, you'll choose to populate this chart with either initiative or content data.
After selecting a chart, follow the steps below to edit the chart configuration.
The first time you create a chart, you'll be taken through a guided tour to learn how to configure it to your liking. (You can opt out of the tour at any time.)
You can watch a webinar that covers an overview of Canvas here.
Editing a matrix chart: To edit a chart, click the Settings button to toggle the chart settings panel.
First, you'll give your chart a title by clicking on the title box.
Next, you'll use the settings panel to customize your matrix chart's columns and rows. Select from the available options for your columns and rows, which include Personas, Buying Stages, Content Stage, Task Deadlines, and more. Use the Switch icon to reverse the columns and rows
Now you're ready to select and manage the initiatives that are included in your chart. Anything you want to see in a matrix view must be associated with an initiative. There are three essential steps:
Select the initiatives you'd like to show data for in your matrix by clicking Manage in the settings panel or Manage Initiatives on the top selection bar. After choosing Manage, you can search for initiatives using the top search bar or scroll to view the initiatives.
To add an initiative, click on the plus icon. Initiatives that are available for your matrix view will be listed in the upper righthand corner. Choose the X next to any initiative to remove it from your view.
- When you have added the appropriate initiatives, click the large X in the upper righthand corner to return to your matrix view.
- You can surface task deadlines or date custom fields in Matrix Charts in Canvas, as well as select the granularity of your date views (day, week, month, or quarter) along with a date range.
- You can limit the field values shown in a matrix chart by selecting/unselecting the checkboxes next to field values in the row/column sections in the settings panel.
- Check or uncheck the box to Enable Status. This view will display how many assets are complete for each initiative or the progress stage of content in your chart.
- If you discard or delete a matrix chart, that action will not delete the initiatives or content assets existing in that matrix chart.
- Click the back arrow to go back to view mode. Click the back arrow again to go to your plan landing page.
Creating content or initiatives within a matrix: Spot a gap? You can create new content or initiatives when actively editing your matrix chart. These newly created assets will be available within Studio as soon as you click Save.
To do this, click on the appropriate cell in the matrix chart, or by clicking Create in the top navigation bar.
Then, complete the information needed within the module: title, type, initiatives, and values for the columns and rows selected in the matrix. You must complete any other information, including additional custom fields, workflow, and file uploads, within Studio on the individual asset's page.
Remember to click Create. Content or initiatives will not be created in Studio until the chart is saved. They will be designated with a dotted outline until the chart saves, and the content or initiative is created.
Updating data within a matrix chart: If you'd like to update the metadata associated with column and row values on content or initiatives while editing a matrix, you can do so by dragging and dropping items into different cells or by clicking on an item and making updates within the details modal.
Content or initiatives without a metadata tag will show in the last row or column, representing missing information. You can move content or initiatives to the appropriate cells to provide a tag. If an asset or initiative needs to be tagged with multiple values, you can click on the asset and make adjustments within the modal window.
Any data you adjust will only change across all areas of Kapost when you click the Save button. Data changes are noted with an asterisk until this occurs.
You can't change the content type, initiative type, or owner within a matrix chart.
Read about managing access in Canvas here to learn how to specify which members or groups own, edit, or view plans and their associated charts, as well as how to share a plan or chart with key stakeholders (even non-Kapost users).