What Is This Feature?
Content strategists create matrix charts in Canvas to visualize content and initiatives in a grid, featuring drag-and-drop functionality to map out your quarterly or yearly content plan.
How It Helps
Build matrix charts to align key stakeholders and executives on your content strategy, provide visibility into how your content is distributed across your team, see if your planned content is mapping to a strategy, and more!
- Organize content in a matrix chart by the content owner to decide who will create which content asset, based on your team's scope and bandwidth.
- Share a digital marketing plan with sales and other teams in your organization, and surface key dates to align on content like webinars and events that both customers and prospects will get value from.
How It Works
To create a new matrix chart in Canvas, start by either creating a new plan or jump into an existing plan on your dashboard. Click the green + button or the Get Started button to use a template, create a custom matrix, or a timeline chart.
When you create a custom matrix chart, you'll populate this chart with either initiatives or contents.
The first time you create a chart, you'll be taken through a guided tour to learn how to configure it. (You can opt out of the tour at any time.)
Editing a matrix chart: To edit a chart, click the Settings button to toggle the chart settings panel. First, you'll give your chart a title by clicking on the title box.
Next, use the settings panel to customize your matrix chart's columns and rows. Select from the available options for your columns and rows, such as Personas, Buying Stages, Content Stage, Task Deadlines. Use the Switch button to reverse your chart's columns and rows.
Now you're ready to select and manage the initiatives that are included in your chart. Anything you want to see in a Matrix Chart must be associated with an initiative. There are three essential steps:
Select the initiatives you'd like to show data for in your matrix by clicking Manage in the settings panel or Manage Initiatives on the top selection bar. You can search for initiatives using the top search bar or scroll to view the initiatives.
To add an initiative to your chart, click on the plus icon. Initiatives that are available for your chart will be listed in the upper righthand corner. Click the X next to any initiative to remove it.
- When you have added your initiatives, click the X in the upper righthand corner to return to your matrix.
Now, within your matrix chart:
- You can surface task deadlines or date custom fields in matrix charts in Canvas, as well as select the granularity of your date views (day, week, month, or quarter) along with a date range.
- You can limit the field values shown in a matrix chart by selecting/unselecting the checkboxes next to field values in the row/column sections in the settings panel.
- Check or uncheck the box to Enable Status. This view will display how many assets are complete for each initiative or the progress stage of content in your chart.
- If you discard or delete a matrix chart, that action will not delete the initiatives or content assets existing in that matrix chart. Click the back arrow to go back to view mode. Click the back arrow again to go to your Canvas dashboard.
Creating content or initiatives within a matrix chart
You can create new content or initiatives when actively editing your Matrix Chart. These newly created assets will be available in Studio as soon as you click Save.
To do this, click on the appropriate cell in the chart, or by click Create in the top navigation bar.
Next, complete the information needed within the module: title, type, initiative, and values for the columns and rows selected in the Matrix. You must complete any other information, including additional custom fields, workflow, and file uploads, in Studio on the individual asset's page.
Remember to click Create. Content or initiatives will not be created in Studio until the chart is saved. They will be designated with a dotted outline until the chart saves, and the content or initiative is created.
Updating data in a Matrix Chart
If you'd like to update the metadata associated with column and row values on content or initiatives while editing a matrix, you can do so by dragging and dropping items into different cells or by clicking on an item and making updates within the details modal.
You can't change the content type, initiative type, or owner within a matrix chart.
Content or initiatives without a metadata tag will show in the last row or column, representing missing information. You can move content or initiatives to the appropriate cells to provide a tag. If an asset or initiative needs to be tagged with multiple values, you can click on the asset and make adjustments within the modal window.
Any data you adjust will only change across Kapost when you click the Save button. Data changes are noted with an asterisk until this occurs.
Read about using manage access functionality in Canvas here to learn how to specify which members or groups can own, edit, or view plans and their associated charts, as well as how to share a plan or chart with key stakeholders (including non-Kapost users).
Archived Custom Field Values in Canvas
Teams in Canvas will see archived custom field values as well as current values. Archived custom field values will appear on content in matrix charts in Edit Content modals.
- An archived custom field value can’t be applied to content in the modal, but can be removed
- Archived values won’t appear in the multi- and single-select custom field drop-down menu in the modal
Kapost will let you know if your Canvas Matrix chart contains any archived values.
- If there are archived values in a column or row of your chart, you’ll see the archived icon to the left of the value in the header of the column or row
For Matrix views with custom fields as either your rows or columns, you can drag and drop content into different rows and columns to see the content with updated tags applied. However, you can’t drag content into a column or row for archived custom field values.
- When you drag and drop content with archived values into a different column or row in your chart, Kapost will alert you that the content’s archived value will be removed
- Once removed, an archived value can’t be reapplied, and you can’t create new content within an archived value cross-section in your chart, since that value can no longer be applied to new content
- Removing archived values in Canvas will remove those values from the content in Studio